The Upward Bound Summer Program offers the largest benefit to our Upward Bound Participants. In the summer program they get to:
- Live on campus at the Dixie State University Nisson Dorms. Each Upward Bound Participant has one room mate and shares a bathroom with one other room (with two other Upward Bound Participants). This provides a college-like environment for these participants prior to actually attending college full-time.
- Take 2-3 college courses. The college courses offered vary each year, but the following courses will be offered every summer:
- English 1010
- Math 1010 and/or 1050
- Library 1010
- CIS 1200
- Spanish 1010, 1020, or 2010
- Laboratory Science course (such as Biology 1010 or Chemistry 1010 )
- Cultural Learning: Experience all kinds of different activities that Upward Bound offers that summer. Cultural enrichment activities are included every summer.
- Have the chance to be successful in college. Tutoring services are offered and classes progress is strictly monitored in order to offer any resources/services each Upward Bound Participant may need during the summer.
- Go on a Final Trip if they receive a “C” grade or better in each of their courses. Final trip destinations vary.
- Be involved in committees that help accomplish:
- End of the Summer Yearbook
- End of the Summer Video
- Student Advisory (great leadership role for seniors)
- End of the Summer Final Banquet