Welcome to Student Support Services!
TRiO Student Support Services (SSS) is a federally funded program designed to provide a variety of free services to help students complete an associate degree and move on to a bachelor degree. To apply for the SSS program, students must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- First Generation– Neither parent received a four-year college degree before the student was 18-years old, and/or
- Low Income Student– Student is receiving federal financial aid such as a Pell grant or the student’s household taxable income meets federal guidelines, and/or
- Disability– The student has a disability which has been documented through DSU’s Disability Resource Center.
Applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of the U.S., enrolled as a full-time student at DSU, and have completed no more than 40 college level credits. After submitting an intake form, applicants must attend an application session and interview.
For more details about the benefits of being a Student Support Services participant, select Services Offered.
The Student Support Services program will provide opportunities for participants to practice self-direction, resourcefulness and resiliency through one-on-one advising focused on academic skills development and personal enrichment. Ultimately, we hope that participants will become successful students, college graduates, respected professionals in their fields, and global citizens who practice lifelong learning.
Student Support Services seeks to support promising students from disadvantaged backgrounds in meeting the challenges of higher education by strengthening and developing their academic and self-management skills. The SSS program’s focus is to ensure that participants persist in school, graduate from Dixie State University with an associate degree, and move on to a baccalaureate program. To accomplish these objectives SSS provides services to enhance students’ academic success, personal skills, and social skills. Providing services in these areas corresponds to the University’s mission to foster lifelong learning. To fulfill the program’s focus, as outlined in its mission statement, the Dixie State University Student Support Services program focuses on five major goals:
- Recruit eligible students who meet federal low income, disability, and/or first generation guidelines;
- Increase the retention of DSU students from disadvantaged backgrounds;
- Increase the academic success of eligible students by increasing their GPA;
- Increase the number and percent of students from disadvantaged backgrounds who graduate from DSU; and
- Increase the number and percent of students from disadvantaged backgrounds who continue their education in graduate or technical schools.
Read about our Performance Objectives here (pdf)