Welcome to Student Support Services!
TRiO Student Support Services (SSS) is a federally funded program designed to provide a variety of free services to help students complete an associate’s degree. These students need academic support and meet at least one, if not more, of the following criteria:
- First Generation– Neither of your parents received a four-year college degree before you were 18-years old, and/or
- Low Income Student– You are receiving financial aid such as a PELL grant or your taxable income meets federal guidelines, and/or
- Disability– You have a documented disability through DSU’s Disability Resource Center
SSS provides ongoing support throughout a student’s university career by providing opportunities for students to grow academically, personally, and socially. Students accepted into the SSS program must have completed no more than 40 college level credits.
For more details about the benefits of being a Student Support Services participant, select Services Offered.
The Student Support Services program will teach student participants’ self-direction, resourcefulness and resiliency through one-on-one advising focused on academic skills development and personal enrichment. Our student participants will become (skilled) successful students and college graduates (prepared to become self-actualizing) professionals, and global citizens who lead through best practices and lifelong learning.
Student Support Services seeks to support disadvantaged students who have potential to meet the challenges of higher education by strengthening and developing their academic and self-management skills. Its focus is to insure that participants in the program have a realistic chance to persist in school and graduate from Dixie State University with an Associates degree. To accomplish these objectives Student Support Services provides services to enhance students’ academic success, personal skills, and social skills. Providing services in these areas corresponds to the University’s mission to foster lifelong learning. To implement the program’s aims as outlined in its mission statement, the Dixie State University Student Support Services program focuses on five major goals:
- Recruit eligible students who meet federal low income, disability, and/or first generation guidelines.
- Increase the retention of disadvantaged students in the University.
- Increase the academic success of eligible students by increasing their GPA.
- Increase the number and percent of disadvantaged students who graduate from the University.
- Increase the number and percent of disadvantaged students who pursue graduate or professional schooling.
Read about our Performance Objectives here (pdf)